Texas is another country...

Texas is another country...I have driven into Texas from all four directions and can affirm that after crossing that imaginary state line you just know you are in Texas . The world becomes wide open space, the sky feels higher, you can stretch out and rest a spell.

Monday, April 21, 2014

RED STATE VS. BLUE STATE



Post by Alana Cash 
  
I was born in the big, red state of Texas, but I have lived in two of the bluest states in the nation – New York and California.  I am going to say right now, that you meet the same people everywhere.  They just express themselves differently.  But.  One of the reasons that I began this blog is because of all the derogatory posts I read online attached to news stories about or taking place in Texas. As though no one in Texas has an original thought and are to be blanketed as some kind of “type.” So, today, I thought I would point out a few discrepancies in the logic that some people use in messing with Texas.

First, let’s talk about guns.  I heard a line in a sitcom (said sarcastically):  “Everyone in Texas has a gun.” I own a gun.  It’s a shotgun.  I’m not sure if I have ever fired it.  It’s an old squirrel gun my grandpa owned.  He used it to hunt food to feed his family.  If there wasn’t enough rain, the cotton crop and the vegetable garden failed and winter was hard-going.  You had to hunt up your grub.  I remember summers at the farm when my dad went squirrel hunting. I ate the stew made from them.  (It tastes like squirrel.)

The fact is the highest rates of crime using guns (outside of New Orleans) are cities in blue states – Detroit, Chicago, Baltimore, Philadelphia, Oakland – and Washington D.C.  So there you go.  I’m not saying that owning a gun is a good thing.  I’m just saying it doesn’t mean you’ll use it.

Of course, there are other comparisons that can be made between the liberal blue states and conservative red Texas, like unemployment, which is 5.5% in Texas, 6.9% in New York and 8.1% in California.  And that brings me to the subject of unions. 

Texas is a right-to-work state.  I think that is pretty liberal.  You can choose if you want to belong to a union or not.  California and New York are not that liberal.  You want to work in unionized industries in those states, you are forced to join the union.  And joining a union is not all that easy. 

I’m not saying that people don’t deserve a living wage.  They do.  But in the states where unions predominate, the jobs have liberally been sent out of the country.  Think about Detroit.  Think about all the manufacturing that used to be done in Brooklyn – gone.  Think about Nike (Oregon), Reebok (Massachusetts), Liz Claiborne (NY) – their manufacturing is outsourced.  And what about large corporations like eBay (California), Microsoft (Washington), and telecommunications companies headquartered in New York?  Unions didn’t keep their service jobs in the U.S.

Unemployment leads to homelessness and the largest populations of homeless people are in New York and California.  In the last five years, the homeless population in Texas has decreased by half.  In New York, it has doubled.

I’m just saying….liberal isn’t always liberal.  And conservative isn’t always conservative.  And neither one of them works all the time. 

Just remember, you meet the same people everywhere you go.  

Musical interlude:  Deep in the Heart of Texas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hPL2s68dHA    

No comments: