Texas is another country...

Texas is another country...I have driven into Texas from all four directions and can affirm that after crossing that imaginary state line you just know you are in Texas . The world becomes wide open space, the sky feels higher, you can stretch out and rest a spell.

Monday, June 30, 2014

TEXAS ROACHES

Photo courtesy of Mike Rosebery
Post by Alana Cash

There are supposedly 30 different types of cockroaches in Texas, but I categorize only two.  There’s the small kitchen-cabinet roach and there’s the huge, horror-movie roach.  The largest clocked in at 3" and that wasn't counting those nasty feelers that are as long as a TV antennae.

Okay, this isn’t how you love Texas, but there are Texas-sized roaches abounding in the areas where there’s a lot of humidity.  They creep you out just waltzing in around the screen door.  We call them tree roaches and, man, can they run!

For a couple of years I lived in a little Craftsman house on Avenue D in Austin.  Basically the house was a roach motel.  They roaches came inside – through the crack between the sash windows, a hole in the bathroom floor around the pipes (not the best plumbing repair),  the hole for the dryer vent (I didn’t have a dryer)  – and those roaches never left.

In the back bedroom where I slept, there was a small closet filled with cardboard boxes of old tax files, old journals, letters I’d saved and whatnot.  Paper.  Culinary delight for tree roaches.

One night I went into the bedroom, turned on the light, and there were about a dozen massive roaches visible in the room.  Two were mating on the ceiling fan.  I rolled up a newspaper and started after them.  One went behind the blinds and I smashed the blinds so hard I cracked the window.  It was disturbing to say the very least.

I never slept in that room again.  The other bedroom was my office, so I slept on the couch.  Shortly thereafter I moved to New York where the roaches are wimpy in comparison, and I noticed they like to ride the subway.

COMMENTS:
Anonymous said:  LOL that was a good one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL! This was a good one.