Texas is another country...

Texas is another country...I have driven into Texas from all four directions and can affirm that after crossing that imaginary state line you just know you are in Texas . The world becomes wide open space, the sky feels higher, you can stretch out and rest a spell.

Thursday, June 5, 2014

THAT'S RIGHT, YOU'RE NOT FROM TEXAS

Lyle Lovett:  “People mean well, but people in other parts of the country, they just…"
[he stops talking and takes a drink]
                                                                
I love his hair, especially when he hasn’t cut it in a long while and it rises from his scalp like a cumulus cloud.  I love his crooked smile that says, yeah.  There’s a subtle way he moves to the rhythm when he’s playing that’s intriguing.  I didn’t quite understand him marrying Julia Roberts – of course I don’t know either of them personally and it’s none of my business anyway – but he sure loves his home state proudly. 

He’s my favorite singer of country western music, maybe any sort of music because he tells great stories in his songs – my favorite being “Cowboy Man” or maybe “You Sure Are Ugly from the Front” or maybe “God Will But I Won’t.”

Or maybe my favorite is one particular Lyle Lovett song that gave me the answer for non-Texans who make those condemning, blanket statements about Texas:

“That’s Right, You’re Not From Texas,”

No comments: