Texas is another country...

Texas is another country...I have driven into Texas from all four directions and can affirm that after crossing that imaginary state line you just know you are in Texas . The world becomes wide open space, the sky feels higher, you can stretch out and rest a spell.

Monday, July 7, 2014

FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS - Texas Football


Football is THE sport of Texas, although some in San Antonio would say they prefer basketball and rightfully so.  I’m not a football fan, although when I was younger I pretended to be which was nice because I now have sweet memories of my dad driving me to the high school football games.  I sat with my friends and he sat alone on the bleachers to watch the game.  He liked football.  I liked football players.

The Dallas Cowboys – who hasn’t heard of them? – used to have spring training at St. Edwards University in Austin during July and August.  Can you imagine all that gear in 100-degree heat plus humidity?  Now, they have spring training in Oxnard, California by the sea.  Much cooler.  But I did have a Dallas Cowboys sighting one morning – Troy Aikman at Sweetish Hill bakery in West Austin

Yesterday, I watched the movie, “Friday Night Lights” for the first time.  I was aware of the TV show of the same name because it was filmed across the street from a place where I used to live in Austin.  Austin High football games were held on that field as well.  I heard the announcers loud and clear.

The movie was very entertaining with an ending that surprised me.  It’s about the Permian Panthers of Odessa, a team famous for winning.  I liked the way the movie was written, directed and edited.  It wasn’t predictable, nor overly flashy.  The characters were developed and gave me an understanding of why football was important to those kids.  They wanted out of Odessa.  A life bigger than a trip to Wal Mart. 

I recommend the movie. 
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0390022/

No comments: